Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guess I should stop calling it "dingo"

After I signed up for a delicious account, I looked into how it compared to "diigo" (not to be confused with an animal that "ate my baby"... apparently the confusion comes from reading through things too quickly).  Both sites allow you to bookmark sites and have easy access to their updates.

I liked how diigo allowed you to highlight specific sections of a website and add comments about it.  I thought this would be really helpful in the classroom when students are assigned to read an article online.  The teacher could put in comments with prompts for responses or clarification.  The sidebar also allows you to see the comments that other people have put into the article - so students' responses/comments/questions could be easily viewed by the teacher.

Both websites allowed for easy access of sites by tagging.  It seems to me like this could take the place of my "favorites" tab on my browser... which I'm pretty sure eats up more space on your computer?  I could be wrong.  Either way, it's far more organized than my favorites tab.

I also thought that it was interesting that you could use diigo to play sites as a slideshow... I'm not exactly sure how that could be utilized in the classroom, I'd have to play around with the features.

I think delicious would come in very handy if there were a collection of websites that I would want to share with my students.  For example, during our unit on the Civil War - students each pick a topic about the Civil War and use the internet to research more about that topic.  Using delicious, I could bookmark sites that are reputable and useful so that students would be able to access them for the project.  They could also tag sites that they found useful, so I could add to the collection.

1 comment:

  1. Bookmarks do take some space, but really very little. The nice part is you can access these social bookmarking sites from any computer with Internet access (including handheld devices). The ability of kids to share sites and add summaries or comments can really facilitate group research projects.

    Now I'm going to think of dingos everytime I see diigo!

    ReplyDelete